So I am sitting here at my desk listening to Zachary scream because he wants his mommy or daddy. He does not like the idea that he is in his room and has a gate blocking his escape. The battle for him learning how to self sooth himself and go to sleep like a big boy begins. What we did differently this time:
1) Let him stay up a bit later than normal
2) Read him a story while he was laying in his big boy bed.
3) Gave him some hugs and talked to him a bit telling him what was going to happen and how he needed to go to sleep like a big boy
4) Gave him a kiss goodnight and told him I loved him and we would see him in the morning
5) Closed the gate but left his door open
6) Turned out the light, told him I loved him and that I will see him in the morning
Now he has had a few tantrums, called for help a bunch of times and then became quiet. My first instinct was to run in his room and check on him but I held my my ground. He erupted in a few more short lived crying fits and now he is quiet. In a bit, I will peak in to make sure he is ok, but I hope to find him: Sleeping on the floor, sleeping in his rocking chair, or best yet, sleeping in his bed.
The battle is going to begin in about 3 hours when he wakes up and goes through it all over again. Hopefully he will be a quick study and it won’t break our hearts. Jodi is already miserable.